1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

6 chefs chat up their knives...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Mar 12, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I love to see what the chefs have to say about their blades. That context shows what really works in high pressure conditions I think. Heck, I would love to hear what it is like to be a chef expecting that my romanticized notions will be shown to be as naive as many of my notions. heck, I like rose colored glasses.

4. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Misonos are favored by a lot of non knife nut chefs. They do have a lot appeal as far as fit and finish goes. But they were also much cheaper several years ago. It wouldn't be hard to find a similar knife with a less established name. Also, the vast majority of pros have terrible tastes in knives so dont take all of our opinions too seriously. The best chefs ive ever worked for used henckels and shuns :(

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I count stuff all day. I do paperwork. I cost stuff out. I get to prep then expedite on the line. Once that is done it is clean for three hours then do some more paperwork/orders. 8-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week, most holidays and all weekends. Granted I work for a publicly traded corporation and we are open 365 a year. So take it with a grain of salt. Not all chef jobs are like that but a lot are.

Now for knives, most chefs don't have time to do good research. If they have time to make it to a Williams-Sonoma to try out some knives then it is a good day. You go off what looks good, feels good and is what you think is priced right. O they had Henckels in culinary school and never bothered switching because they've lasted so long, why not get the same thing?

6. stevenStefano

stevenStefano Founding Member

Pretty much every Chef I've ever met was clueless about knives. Only one I ever met with decent knives had a set of Wusthof's and was bragging about how much they cost

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Man, if he was bragging about his pricey Wustof's, he hasn't begun to dip his toes in this pond:eek:

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

There was until recently a small restaurant that had a young chef /co-owner. He would be the only chef I know. I never got a chance to talk to him about knives. The setup allowed one to see into the kitchen area and I noted on occasion that he was really busy back there. Seemed like he had another guy assisting but the division of labor was not understood by me. His place had about 6 standards that they made and usually about 3 other s that changed. Unfortunately a divorce seems to have put the kibosh on things and the doors are closed. He is rumored to be working on a cruise ship somewhere now...