1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Bluetooth speakers

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Apr 25, 2014.

1. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Any recommendations and reasoning? Interested in getting one. Looking for deep crisp base, and overall clean sharp sound.

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I really don't have much experience with them to be honest.
    Could I ask a budget? It might help with suggestions.

3. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

I enjoy my Bose Sound Link II. Simple to use, I haven't run into pairing issues, nice and portable, looks good, and the battery lasts quite a while. It can get loud and has great sound for a more mainstream speaker. Downside is it's a little pricy. The Sound Link III just came out, but I can't comment on that one.

- Steve

Edit: Budget would help for sure. They range from $50-$2000+ and did you want it to be portable?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. LeperoftheFaith

LeperoftheFaith Founding Member

TDK A33. I did a lot of research before buying this unit last year and it consistently ranked very high in sound quality. It is 'weatherproof' and holds a charge for roughly 6 hours. It can be bass heavy, especially with people talking (podcasts) but music wise its great. I think its $150 on amazon.

5. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Had a look at the TDK A33, looks like solid buy. As for price range, $150-$200 is about as much as I want to go...

6. Pierre i was also looking around for a speaker. and the stand off was betwin bose soundlink 3 and jawbone big jambox. and desided to go with the jambox. very good sound for the money.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  7. Made a little test vid :)

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

To me blue tooth speakers are a tough problem unless you are going to plug them into a power source where you listen. the requirment to achieve a high volume and big bass means they will be power hungry. Designers use different techniques to maximize these factors such as specking out long throw drivers and adjusting enclosure volume to take advantage of certain frequencies, but in truth power is the real answer. Additionally most blue tooth systems have a stated range of 30 feet or so. If you've been around the block a time or two, you know that this is probably an optimistic figure and walls, windows, metal obstructions will reduce it.

I have a Acoustic Research outdoor speaker that serves my purposes well, but it does not make big bass, even with bass boost, but it does accurately reproduce the Jazz and Blues stations I listen to on my Sirius system. It is not blue tooth though. It has a dedicated 900mhz transmitter that you plug into a line or headphone jack. The speaker can operate on battery or included AC adapter. It can be loud enough that I never have the volume turned all the way up but it would not be able to compete with grinders or other machinery. the real advantage of this system is the stated 150 foot range which I have tested out to about 90 feet through a couple walls and windows.

They come in a few different designs and do come with bluetooth or wired input option.

wireless speaker.png

http://www.acoustic-research.com/speakers/?sku=AWS53