1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Do any if your knives have names?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andre, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I have a buddy who calls his Miyabi by a pet name. In a spectacular chain I bad luck the floating joint came off the hand sink just as someone knocked the knife off of his station. The knife goes down the hole, about three feet below the level of the floor. We can all see it, but no one can get it. There she sits, for a week. Rescue attempts are made and fail. Finally someone went to harbor freight and got some strong magnets and we pulled it up again. Her name: Baby Jessica. It's been two years and she is still lovingly called by her pet name.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As a side note he did that to the profile on purpose, I showed him a picture of a Fowler and he said "that looks like Jessica"!
    Any other good stories?

2. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

What a great story and a fitting name! :cool1

3. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

That is a great name! I hope he thinned the crap out of that knife after doing that profile, though.

4. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

I broke the tip on a santoku when I dropped it, and had to shorten it 3/8". I had a name for it, which is the word I yelled when I dropped it, but it can't be repeated in polite company. Maybe I should just call it "Shorty."

5. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

well Right now I have three so I guess ill call them Larry Curly and Moe,... oh wait I forgot, I have four,.. the gyuto can be shemp

6. Andre

Andre Founding Member

He thinned it more at the tip than at the heel, it's pretty chunky back there, but he mostly uses the tip. It's a weird knife, but works for him.

7. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I had a suisin gyuto named 'sir cuts alot'.

8. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

My Tojiro ITK I call Chompy. No real reason... my Laser is Laser. M real original lol

9. James

at some point im going to name one of my blades after Jay... but it hasnt happened yet

10. Intrigued

I have a Hiromoto AS 240 gyuto that is going to have a rehandle and performance package done by Dave Martell and this is the wood blank he will be using.

[​IMG]
    Which in my diet-addled brain looks an awful lot like a slab of bacon..... :bacon .... so I've taken to calling it, "the Bacon Knife".

11. Intrigued

If there was a knife maker with a nickname of Bear and he was willing to use a really special piece of wood on a knife (Pierre's positively pretty, perfectly proportioned, petite petty) he was making for you.... A piece of wood that reminded you of warm honey....

Honey Bear Knife 1.jpg

.. then you might start thinking of the Kinkajou....

Honey bear 1.jpg Honey Bear 2.jpg

... also called the Honey Bear.... and if you have a Gyuto being worked up that is already called in some circles the Bacon Knife.

Then of course this knife has already become in my mind, "the Honey Bear"!

12. James

lol proud piece of Pierres original ornate opus Connie

13. Intrigued

Indeed!

I really love both of those wood blanks.

Dave is just getting started on my knives and I'm so excited to see if that strangely curled maple blank still looks like bacon to me when it gets turned into a handle. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. beginish

beginish Silver Contributor Founding Member

I was considering Orcrist or Glamdring, but those were taken.

15. Intrigued

[​IMG]
    How 'bout Excalibur! [​IMG]

16. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Stan is available.

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Only one of them has a name. It's a 12 inch or so Henckels that I use on watermelons and such. It's the Lorena Bobbitt knife.

18. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

That is the name of the knife that is only used for sausage and cheese trays

19. snowbrother

snowbrother Founding Member

I have a shun premier santoku that has gotten a name over the last few years. I call it TFN (That ****ing Knife). I've been trying to get rid of this knife but nobody ever wants it. So I just keep it in my knife kit as a beater/go to knife for random, most likely damaging tasks. No matter how much that blade gets abused, it has yet to chip, break or even lose much of an edge. I swear this thing is my kryptonite, it is the most resilient knife that never goes away. And yes, I really dislike Shuns. the only reason I bought this knife was because I got a great deal on it ($50) and couldn't pass it up. I figured I would give it an edge and sell it to a coworker or give it to someone that needed it, but nobody ever wanted it. So now.. it is my TFN.

20. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

One of my chefs from London, a frenchman, had two knives, Global paring and huge wusthoff.

Global is aLittle F****r
    Wusthoff is a Big F****r