1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Granton - Sheffield commercial knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roaduck, Aug 15, 2024.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have an admiration and respect for Granton knives which have been made continuously in Sheffield, North West England since 1601.
    The indentations upto the very edge of the blade are copyrighted and stop a lot of foods sticking to the blade especially whilst slicing.
    These two look cheap but they are not and can survive abuse in a commercial kitchen or butchers day in / day out for years plus the heat of an industrial dishwasher or knife steriliser.
    I would say the steel is as good as my Dick knives or my friend`s Victorinox models and the edge retention is better than average.
    I know this because I have half a dozen big Granton slicers of the same age and they require less edge maintenance than my other commercial knives.
    The steel is unspecified but feels and sounds like a mid fifties HRC stainless formulation on my diamond plates.
    I also love the fact that they can be left dirty with food or wet for days without any discolouration whatsoever.
    I particularly like green knives and santoku`s and I like the unusual profile of the bottom 6 inch veggie knife; the top one is 6.5 inches.
    My new knife block is full already !
    For scale the big green one on the top left of the bottom picture is a 14 inch blade commercial butchers knife.

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

The little on is for vegetables? It looks like a box cutter. :D

3. The little bottom one is a five inch pro scalloped veggie knife Wagner the Wehrwolf - meant to be maxed out everyday.The kullens ( grantons, indentations ) are to the edge and huge for max food release; hardly any suction.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
  4. Wagner the Wehrwolf

I did a quick search and it doesn't look like they are imported to the US. Loads of Granton-edged knives but not ones made by Granton. I did figure out the little one has a part number 24106. I believe 24106e is the ergonomic handle. Not sure which you have there.

5. I can send you a link to a place in Sheffield that exports genuine Granton knives to The States Wagner.They export Worldwide.
    The huge grantons ( dimples ) right to the edge of the blade make a lot of difference - food hardly sticks at all.
    They were designed for commercial use in a carvery, front of shop, butchers, hotel and restaurants in the 1920`s.

I`ve used this company a few times - they are a reputable and well-established and a pleasure to deal with.
    If you ring Robert Day on 44 114 2467240 from the U.S. he is very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable.
    Or you could ask for your specific requirements by emailing him at -

mailto: sales@steelcitycutlery.com

https://www.steelcitycutlery.com/cu...ath=727_764&osCsid=dtsnuft99o5jk4617gb2ncrpt3

https://www.steelcitycutlery.com/cutlery/catalog/shipping.php

Here you go Wagner.
    They do different handle colours in traditional and ergonomic designs and do lovely solid rosewood handled ones as well for the bigger Granton edge knives.
    They also do handmade outside knives, pocket knives, bowie`s, bespoke and custom orders, solid silver cutlery canteens etc - they do a big selection from Granton and other Sheffield and English manufacturers.
    Oh forgot to mention - the top black genuine Granton santoku is about $20 from the Big River site and they ship to The States.
    I have two accounts - UK and US - so that helps with International orders.

6. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Thanks! I'll take a look.

7. You`re welcome Wagner the Wehrwolf - I hope you find what you`re looking for.
    If I recall correctly the standard Granton edge models go from about 2-3 inches up to 18 inches and if you want a custom size / colour / profile / weight / balance / specific handle wood or even knife steel I am sure they can accommodate if you don`t mind the wait / outlay.

The genuine Granton edge models are unsurpassed for ease of slicing - I`ve used a lot of different slicing knives over the years and they are simply the best for food release - especially for ham, lamb, pork, beef roasts, salmon, tuna ; even cheese, tomatoes, cakes and bread.
    The veggie knife and santoku above are both brilliant for potatoes doing homemade French fries / steak chips, root veg and apples etc - minimal sticking to the blade so it speeds up prep.
    They are just as easy to hone with a steel / ceramic rod as regular knives.

To quote -

"Try a proper Granton Edge blade from Granton of Sheffield, England. The true Granton Edge is quite literally on the edge of the knife blade, as versus the more common copies where the scallops are further up the blade. It's also important for the scallops on opposite sides to be staggered, to maintain the rigidity of the blade. Please note that the Granton Edge is only effective in slicing, as it breaks the contact between the blade and the food, whereas it'll do absolutely nothing if you're chopping foods.

It's unfortunate that so many knife manufacturers have incorrectly added scallops as a styling feature – just like the fake laser etching to mimic Damascus steel – which we see on all too many knives. A true Granton Edge really does work, but works best on long slicing strokes to break that surface tension.

Sharpening is another myth. Unlike a bread knife with its wavy blade – which really is difficult to sharpen – the genuine Granton Sheffield blades are relatively easy to sharpen. It's just unfortunate that so much rubbish is written because the knives people call "Granton Edge" aren't genuine."

https://www.russums-shop.co.uk/news...-questions-about-granton-edge-blades#granton6

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024