1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I love santoku`s

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roaduck, Aug 16, 2024.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My girlfriend and I both love santoku`s because of their size, profile and versatility; if the balance and weight is good and they`re thin and sharp they can be potential dream knives.
    I have a couple of decent ones but I bet you discerning guys can spot the budget ones haha !
    The ceramic one with the black blade is a 5" inch chef`s but I like the colour.
    I especially love kiritsuke`s because I am so used to using Asian knives with a nearly flat blade profile.

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

My first entry into Japanese knives was a santoku. But it didn't really move me. I've never used a kiritsuke before and don't know it's advantages.

3. Apparently kiritsuke`s are used by top sushi chefs for precision push cutting raw fish and sometimes doing decorative fruit and vegetables.
    The traditional Japanese ones are mostly carbon and are all single bezel that are meant to be kept single hair-lopping sharp.
    I like using them because they generally have a flatter belly than a santoku or a gyutou.
    A lot of my Chinese chef`s knives have totally straight blades; which I`m used to using every day since the late eighties.