1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Long String of Bad Luck Finally Coming to an End

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by snowbrother, Mar 23, 2014.

1. snowbrother

snowbrother Founding Member

So, I'm not sure who here remembers me or knows who I am. But I was fairly active on KKF about a year-ish ago. At the time I was working in a great restaurant in DC and had my career on track. Then my father became very ill and I had to move back home to help take care of him. Unfortunately, this meant that I would have to sacrifice my career in the kitchen because my parents live in this tiny little town in WV where the only restaurants are fast food joints and a couple of diners.

However, there is a new restaurant with a casual/fine dining focus that is opening just two blocks away from where I live. It has an open kitchen, farm to table concept, wood fired oven and wood burning grill and a large selection of wine, all of which lines up perfectly with my experience in the kitchen. I applied to work in the kitchen. I was expecting line cook or something along those lines as that is what I've always done. However, after the interview, the chef offered me the position of being his sous chef. He said he wasn't actually planning on hiring one yet, but after talking to me and my references, he couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I am very excited to get started and I can't wait for the construction to finish and the kitchen to finally open (in about 3 weeks). This is an amazing opportunity for me. I am so excited to get back into a kitchen again. I have felt like an empty husk without being able to be in one. I can't really explain it but I love the feeling where I am drenched in sweat, I'm sore and tired and just realize that I haven't eaten in about 10 hours then manage to push through and finish a service. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it is rewarding coming home tired, hungry and scraping salt off my arms from all of the dried sweat and being content knowing that service went well. I love everything about working in a kitchen and I'm so happy to be able to get back in one.

I just wanted to share my recent string of good luck with everyone.

Thank you :)

2. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Best wishes for your new journey.

3. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Nice! You leave the restaurant scene and then the restaurant scene comes to you. Good luck with the opening!

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Fantastic news, and thanks for sharing it with us. Best wishes for you on your new job!

5. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Congratulations! [​IMG]

Here's to a great grand opening and years of success ahead. :cool1

6. cclin

cclin Founding Member

great news, congratulation!

7. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Congrats bro!

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

9. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Sounds like a great opportunity to jump back into it all. Best of luck.

11. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

Good luck, I hope it works out great!

12. Andre

Andre Founding Member

That is living the dream, to me. Big city restaurant in a small town. Good luck!

13. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Best of luck. And that Ealy is waiting whenever you want it. I finally found it two days ago :)

k.

14. panda

panda Founding Member

after service you can get plastered and walk home, double win!

15. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

This looks lilke a great opportunity! Hopefuly it will work out great!

16. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Awesome news!
    I'm extremely happy for you, that your passion is back... Congrats.

17. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Fantastic news! Congratulations and best of luck with the new job.

18. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Congratulations! Hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship for you!

19. good luck, keep us posted.

20. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Congrats, and good luck! That is amazing news. Life without our passions is hell. Glad you are out of it. :)