1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mr Haburn, Your On Deck

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, May 17, 2015.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

IMG_20150517_184550.jpg

Bought a roast for a slowcook tomorrow, and looks like some good "getaknowya" time (finally) with my Haburn Bunka, although I may differ the cabbage to something with a little more blade length lol.

Also will be first use on thr boardsmith board. Can hardly wait... but then Dont really want dinner at 3am

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. James

not usually but I found a recipie and it called for it, so I thought I would give it a go, usually I only use apples with pork... so this will be new to me

4. Toothpick

Let us know how it turns out and tastes. I always have a few apples on hand.
    I've never put them in with roast though, pork or otherwise.

5. James

I think I need more time with this knife,

Obviously with such a thin flat grind wet foods like carrots and onions stick as you cut through them. But i was a little surprised the knife had trouble slipping through the sideways cuts on the onion. It didnt do that the first time I tried so im pretty sure It was me using the cutting board for the first time as its higher then my old board and threw me off a bit. I only had half and onion her so three off those cuts, not enough for me to make a call on specially since i had no trouble the first night.

I did miss some of the extra weight my nakiri has when it came to the sweet potater, The bunka did the job no trouble but as well as the nakiri... Which I will say when it came to scooping up veggies to put in the pot I did miss the big flat side of the nakiri as well. When it came to some smaller tasks like doing the garlic or peeling the apples the bunka is a heads and tails above the nakiri. Usually I use my tiny petty for these tasks but in the case of the apple the flat larger side profile of tue knife made it easier to keep the knife from digging into the apple, And the extra hrel clearance made board work on the garlic a little nicer then the petty. I was wondering where this knife would fit in use wise, and It has a place for me.. The little petty I usually do hand work with, but some tasks it wasnt the greatest at, and the bunka seems to excel at those. For peeling, small board tasks like garlic or herbs this guy is a beast, But onions and veggies will still fear the wrath of my nakiri.

6. Toothpick

7. James

it was great, I added to much flour with the gravy, balanced it out with a little more red whine, but it wasnt the same... everything else was great though. After the apples had been cooked that long they completely broke down and as far as I could tell were not detectable at all. All in all, it was a good recipe I think ill have to modify it a bit in the future but it should hang around.

8. Toothpick

So the apples became mushy? I've never cooked apples so not sure how they would handle a slow cook. Apparently not that great.
    Maybe it's just more for looks.

9. James

beyond mushy, lol I couldnt find them, I think they completely broke down into the sauce, I mean they are mostly water so once that cooked out there wouldnt be much left behind. Im sure they added flavour into the over all profile, If I were to do it again, I would probably hold an apple or two back until the last hour or maybe 30 minutes to actually have some of them left by the time it came to plate

10. Toothpick