1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Nakiri vs Usuba

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by kentos, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kentos

kentos Founding Member

Anyone have both? I understand the difference as far as single and double bevels and whatnot, but which would be more useful? I would use them for all vegetable cutting both Western and Asian cuisine. I would love to buy both, but aesthetically I am leaning towards a Usuba. I can imagine on thicker items the single bevel might be problematic? I also have been reading that a quality Usuba will cost me a lot more Pesos than a similar Nakiri since Usuba are harder to forge? Am I at least partially correct :k?

2. I have both, would recommend the nakiri. It's a bit difficult to explain the differences. For one the usaba has a flat blade, so hit's the chopping board with a bit of a thud. The nakiri has a very slight curve to the blade, much better for chopping on a board. If you feel the need for an usaba, don't get one with the curved end (kamo? Or something), the tip is very exposed, digs into the board and either breaks or gets really stressed.
    I have the curved tip variety. I need a very different style of cutting to use it.

3. I would throw the banno bunka in the mix as well.
    It does have a K-tip what is quite handy when you finely chop things like onions.
    I do have a cheap and nasty usuba shaped knife (with a single bevel) and a Tojiro DP nakiri as well, but haven't used any of them too much. I just prefer something with an ever so slithly pointy tip.

4. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

the type of usuba you are recommending is kamagata usuba.

Yes, usuba is very much different from nakiri. Usuba is really only useful for Japanese-style food preparation (katsuramuki, etc.). If you are going to be prepping veggies in the western way, stick with the nakiri...unless you just want to have some fun with a single-bevel.

5. I have both and use them , however, I will side with zwiefel on the use of both. My Nakiri is a Carter kurouchi that I absolutely love and use almost everyday for vegetables, simply because it is a joy to use, to sharpen and to hold. I bought what I thought was a very good usuba, but the edge is more delicate than that of a nakiri and I use it specifically for katsuramuki and other types of Japanese cuts, and when I am cooking Japanese, it becomes the default veggie prep knife. In all other situations I gravitate back to the Nakiri.

6. Oh dear, I just saw that zwiefel just passed away. I am sorry for his passing, he was greatly admired and loved by many.