1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Nenohi or Suisin

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Mar 20, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Lets hypotetically say, that you are ordering a custom made single bevel knife from a japanese maker.

You get offers from two, Nenohi and Suisin.

Which one would you pick? What steel is Nenohi famous for?

The knife mention would be your only kitchen knife at home.

2. schanop

schanop Founding Member

May be a Suisin Momiji 240mm

3. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

probably given those two options I'd probably go with suisin - really depends on what you want. they both do western and traditional styles, but I think suisin is better known for the traditional side, while nenohi is a bit more 'hybrid' or even western style. They're both well respected, and at the high end are making great knives.

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Thanks for chiming in fellow gangbangers ;)

However, as specified, this will be a high-class-hongasumi-custom-shaped-single-bevel-japanese-steel-ultra-thin-kitchen-knife-to-rule-them-all-out :D

Seriously, I am trying to sell all of the knives I do own now, on my magnet I want to see my parer, my custom, my bread knife and my wifes...yyy...whatever.

5. pleue

pleue Founding Member

I'd throw hinoura and watanabe kintaroame in the mix? You're going to switch to a single bevel as your only knife?

6. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

ok, so really follow your bliss on this one then. both suisin and nenohi are brand houses, whereas someone like watanabe or hinoura will forge the knives themselves. really just depends on how 'special' you want it to be, and any personal attachment you want to feel.

so whatcha got for sale then???? :BF

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Either or. Both companies make extrordinary knives. Keep in mind if you are looking for a custom made honyaki, hand forged knife from either company you very well could pay upwards of $2,000.00

8. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Based on what I've seen on the fora over the years, I'd go with Nenohi. They've made some spectacular stuff at the high end.

9. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Suisin does custom work, and much like Konosuke, has access to a variety of very skilled craftsman. My Suisin Hayate(one of Master Doi's last knives), 300mm Sakimaru Takobiki is ridiculous.

10. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

It might just be special for me. Its a specifically shaped knife, will be hard for them to forge it and I dont want honyaki reason: this one is still going to be sharpened and thinned regularly.

Selling just some boring, hardworking knives haha :) apart from the Masamotos mioroshi nothing exciting really.
    You can check the thread in the BST section