1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sakai Ichimonji 240mm gyuto review

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andre, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Andre

Andre Founding Member

So I have finally had a day off and gotten to cook at home. I don't want to toss this guy into the maw of the restaurant just yet, at least till I get a feel for it.
    I made some chicken stew to spoon over leek bread pudding so I got to cut a good variety of vegetable textures. With the edge it came out of the box with it flew through everything. No wedging on some fairly large carrots, and nothing else even registered as more than slight resistance. The OOTB edge is almost too thin, I'll probably microbevel it next time I sharpen the work kit.
    The bevels are huge, much bigger than a heiji, and bigger than they looked in the auction pictures. I was worried about how it would feel cutting, but it seemed to release well.
    The blade feels short, but the only 240mm knives I've had to hold it up to have been a KS and an Itinomonn, both of which run long.
    The F&F are pretty good, not up to what something like Jons standard, but acceptable.
    All in all, with one meal under its belt it send like a keeper and a pretty cool one at that. Once I have a better feel for it I'll take it to work and see how it works hard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

man that looks like a knifing good time. Nice write up, and an ever better looking blade. Have fun with that one Andre, guessing it stuck itself into the board, or would be able to find itself doing so very easily

4. panda

panda Founding Member

cool, reminds me of kono fujiyama blue #2 line, priced around the same too. i love wide bevels!

5. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I'd be highly surprised if they aren't the same makers.

6. panda

panda Founding Member

I would totally get one if they were taller.

7. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

My Fujiyama is about 50. Not a bad height for a blade that is about 228 on the edge. The Kagekiyo Aoko 240 was about 51.

8. panda

panda Founding Member

That's too short for me anyway, I wish 255 was the standard.

9. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I'm really liking this wide bevel trend that's come about lately. This one does look much like my Konosuke Fujiyama blue. And it sounds like it performs just as well too. Nice to the point write up. Thanks!

10. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Held up to a ginga and a hattori Forum today, definitely a little short.