1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sheffield made Whiteley 1920NP-12 Industrial Scissors

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by roaduck, Oct 27, 2023.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A nice lady rang me up on Monday morning from an industrial sewing machine supply company.

I was asked if I still wanted some William Whiteley 1920NP-12 side-bent shears that were out of stock in mid August; of course I said yes and carded it over the phone.

All I can say is "WoW" - the quality is the best scissors I`ve ever seen and I`ve owned really good American Wiss and Japanese Kai and artisan German models costing hundreds of dollars.

They are much better than any domestic scissors I`ve ever owned.They are big for 12 inch shears and weigh 754 grams which is about a pound and a half but are perfectly balanced.

The handles are not dipped in paint or rubber coated - they are stove enameled.

They are carbon steel with a HRC-65 hardness of the blade; the handles are softer even though the scissors are hot forged two-piece designs.

You can not see any daylight at all between the blades when closed which is a sign of perfect grinding.

They came in triple-wrapped bubble wrap and on each individual package was written "Sharp Scissors" in red marker !

Now I know why they had 3 warning labels on them - they can cut off 1/25th of an inch of a cigarette paper accurately and effortlessly with the very tips of the blade - unbelievable precision for such massive scissors.They can also cut 50 plus layers of paper towels effortlessly; I am not kidding.

There is only a handful of staff in the whole 100 plus year old tiny factory.

They are hand made by an English craftsman with over six decades of experience; I`ve seen him on their website.He is well over retirement age.
    The firm in Sheffield, South Yorkshire has been making hand made scissors continuously since 1760.

They were an unbelievable bargain - less than £60 with tax and FEDEX next day delivery.

They are easily worth £300 plus - they are heirloom scissors and one of the best bargains I`ve had in my 58 years.

Naturally I`ve ordered some more Whiteley scissors - a pair of ten inch ones for glass fibre, carbon fibre and kevlar / aramid and some five inch electricians scissors which were both less than £100 all inc.

They also do bespoke scissors with a waiting list and made scissors for the English Royal Family and the Great Exhibition of 1851 in the Crystal Palace - London.

I`ve seen pictures of their scissors and they are truly works of art - fully jeweled and pierced and mirror polished like a Swiss watch.

Their normal range goes from £6 - £7 up to £6700.00 and bespoke is sky is the limit.

Naturally they ship Worldwide and have distributers in North America.

For the handmade quality the prices are unbelievably low; they must be doing it for love and pride.

The quality is as good or better than artisan Japanese scissors in my 40+ year experience of buying, using and hand forging Asian-style knives here in NW England and in the Far East.

2. To give you an idea of the scale of these twelve inch scissors; here they are next to some YNR 20 inch, 3 lb scissors - they are both big and heavy.
    [​IMG]

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Wow!