1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Tax Time!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Lucretia, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Yep, it's that time of year. We do our own taxes, and e-filed last Friday. My refund was in the bank this morning.

So some words you might have never thought to see:

Well done, IRS!

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I filed mine back in Feb.
    I also do it myself via TurboTax. Single, no kids, don't home my home, no deductions. Couldn't be any easier.
    I got it quick too, bout 10-15 days maybe.

3. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

What's a refund? :(

4. Toothpick

I've always wondered if it would be worth it to not pay in throughout the year. I've heard from various "experts" on the TV shows that you shouldn't pay in throughout the year if you can avoid it.
    But then again coming up with several thousand dollars in a few months at the beginning of the year might be difficult to some folks.

5. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

There is usually a legal obligation to pay in with every payroll. You cannot get your employer to stop withholding taxes from your checks. And if you are self-employeed you are usually required to submit quarterly tax statements.

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

The IRS says, "If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax."

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

It is time for a new knife :jump

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

That.

Plus given what we are earning on savings right now, we would have made about $0.50 in interest this year on the amount we got back.

9. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I have it set up so that I either get back a couple hundred or owe a couple hundred every year. I'd rather have the money as I earn it. That way, I'm not giving out an interest-free loan.

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

My refund was in the bank by the end of January. I e-filed before they were even accepting them, we always get a nice refund so I'm quick to file. Had my money 5 days later.

11. Toothpick

That was my understanding why the "experts" said not to pay in throughout the year. I've never been able to figure it out nor trusted myself to have a couple grand handy the following year.

12. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

We always over pay and get a hefty return in the spring. I know it makes no economic logic as it does amount to an interest free loan to the government as there is an opportunity cost to not investing it myself, but in reality my high yield investor checking still wouldn't give me that much back on it. If I were diligent enough to not spend the funds, and invest them throughout the year in a way that doesn't give me a short-term cap gains hit when I cash out and need the funds, then I could see withholding the right amount so I would get little or no refund. BUT I know perfectly how irrational and non-diligent I would be in this respect -- so I choose the 'tax bonus' method. It also coincides with a low-income period for our household, so it evens out the pay a bit throughout the year.

k.

13. Andrew

Makes sense.

14. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I have enough going on with life that I don't want to think about my taxes. I do full withholdings and get a return back in the spring. Most of the return gets invested in something. Lately it has been precious metal ;)

15. Andrew

With wooden handles, right?

16. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Not all precious metals have wooden scales. Some have polymer frames and hi capacity magazines.