1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Japanese Scissor. Kanji?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Mr.Magnus, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Hi guys. I picked up a vintage scissor a few days ago for 2$ (got it from a old woman that has a passed away husband, he was a sharperner for surgical instruments and much more back in the days). The action is great, cutting better then most other modern scissor i have home right now witch i thought was funny. Not sure what this model is used for but i seen this type of scissors but with smaler cutting edges, used for bonsai trees. Dose anyone here know what this model is used for and even better can read the kanji? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. If I am not wrong, that scissor is Chinese, not Japanese. The Kanji is "王麻子". The company has been around since early Qing dynasty, 1651. It has been recognized as "National Intangible heritage."

Their website is www.bjwangmazi.com.

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

If that's 王麻子, then they really screwed up.

4. I have no idea if it is, just reading the characters and look it up. I left the note about their history from their website because their English site is pretty sad compared to their Chinese site.

5. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

My only real problem is that the 麻 doesn't look much at all like 麻, lacking the first stroke and having more at the bottom. I'm cozy with Chinese but can't see it clearly here. Looks more like a 厝 or something. The 子 is also funky, almost looking like a 予 but that isn't terribly inconsistent with the company's typography.

6. yeah... you're right.

Both characters are little funky. The middle one doesn't really looks like any character correctly and 予 fits the last one better.

7. Hmmm Macro lens on. dont think its been stamped on since it looks diffrent on each side. maybe the artisan made it on a monday :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Cheers. With those pics it looks more like MCKEMAUS was right and it indeed seems like 王麻子. I was too reliant on the impression in the first pics that seemed to omit some detail.

9. butch

butch Founding Member

i picked up 3 hand forged shears over the last 2 years and love them. wil hav eot get a shot of the markings and see what i find out

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I have a few pair of these type scissors and am amazed at how sharp they get and stay. Never paid more than a few bucks for them either...