1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wa handles

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've seen some reviews of knives with wa handles where one might say the knife is good but the handle is rubbish. From the photos it doesn't seem that they are that different. Is it desired that the fit between the ferrule and the handle material is flush and nearly seamless?. I looked at one of the Goku damascus with burnt chestnut handle which received poor marks for the handle but good on the knife blade.

What makes a good wa handle?

2. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

One not made in Japan.

3. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

What makes a good wa handle? Generally, you look for:
    • A ferrule that is flush with the body of of the handle.
    • A ferrule that is made from something other than plastic, although micarta and G10 are technically plastic.
    Country of manufacture is of no importance. The wa handles on Shigefusa, Takeda and Watanabe knives are good. The handles on Murray Carter's standard kurouchi knives are not.

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Appealing, Id like to like the looks. comfortable,should feel good in the hand shape, size, and material wise, while providing a good grip... the ferrule mounting flush, really isnt important, but it shows attention to detail and quality fit and finish which is always nicer then something just slapped together. My Yuki is pretty plan, but I love everything about it, the higher end Koishi I have I dont like the looks of the wood as much, although it is a notch above. the Konesuke Horn ferrule doesnt quite mount flush, but it is even and almost seems to be done on purpose that way so it doesnt bother me, nothing feels off or looks odd, so Im happy with that handle over all. Other then that, quality materials meaning the handle will last a lifetime, nothing could be more out of whack then having a beautifully done blade in great steel, with all attention paid, only to have some crap tossed on as an afterthought to the handle