1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

when is a wa not a wa and not a yo

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Apr 1, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

tell me about the wa handles that are described as "D" shaped. they don't seem to really be a D but have a pointy part on one side. what is the advantage ?

what are your opinions on the handles that have a wa shape but are pinned onto the tang like a yo handle? Seems that if one would have trouble thinning the tang to convert to traditional wa owed to the holes for the rivets.

2. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, but I'll give it a go:

D shaped handles are comfortable and fit well in the hand because the 'pointy part' of the handle fits into where your fingers fold over on themselves (for lack of a better word). When your fingers are flexed (make a fist) look at your hand (with knuckles pointing to 12 o'clock) and it resembles the d-shaped wa handle. With a pinch grip it tends to be less important what the handle shape is, but if someone uses a hammer grip it would be more important. The disadvantage to the D is they're not ambidextrous though for obvious reasons, and some prefer a flat surface to rest their fingers on (octagon).

I'll take a stab at the when is a wa not a wa thing too.

Based on my knowledge, I'd say a wa is no longer a wa when it's full tang. It would be a western-wa hybrid of some sort at that point (but still a western). As for the conversion, Dave just posted a WIP here doing just that: http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/wip-western-rehandle-s.617/

In the thread he talks about the Japanese using rivets with large heads but small shafts. So in that case the holes are small enough for the conversion. If the shafts are large though I guess the other option might be to grind down what you can and then just make a slightly larger handle to accommodate.

- Steve

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Steve
    Always looking out for me.

4. Excellent summary Steve.

To be fair, though, not all D shaped handles have a pointy ridge. Ho wood handles often have a ridge. However, rosewood and chestnut handles are usually more of a true "D" shape. I know they are not supposed to be ambidextrous, but it's seems there a lot of left hand users that don't mind and/or actually like right handed Ho wood D handles. Lots of claims that the ridge fits right where the thumb meets the palm, allowing the meaty part of the thumb palm to be rested comfortably on top of it.

5. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

Thanks!

I completely agree. Some D shaped handles are actually more of a "D" shape and not a sideways triangle, it's just maker dependant. And absolutely some lefties tend to like the shape, it always comes back to personal preference and cutting style. Hopefully my quick blurb helped though!

- Steve

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I found it helpful. especially the info about Japanese pins typically being smaller. That also got me thinking that once could weld the holes shut and then trim the tang as needed for a true wa conversion.