1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

KKFora Passaround?

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Lol! This is true as well :). Either way none of my knives are making it through a frozen chub of sausage though :p.

2. Alright ladies and gentlemen!! The knife left Phoenix today, headed for WildBoar and the ECG. Should be there Thursday, so plenty of time!

I actually built an oak box to protect it. Yes...a box. This thing will be spending PLENTY of time with the USPS, and I have no intentions of underestimating their destructive capabilities. You will need a phillips head screw driver to get to the knife.

A few things:

First, I've insured it for $1k. The base price for this knife would be $927, plus $50 for the handle, and $80 for the saya. I would appreciate if we could keep it insured for the same amount. I know this does zero for damage, but if they lose the thing, I want paid.

Second, I've included a number of items in the box that will help you guys keep it cleaned up and looking semi fresh for the next user.

- Choji Oil (mineral/clove) for the blade. Just keep a very light coat on it when you're not using the blade. Seriously, you shouldn't be able to see it, but your finger shouldn't leave 'marks' on the blade like a dry blade would.
    - Iron Oxide. This is for cleaning off the patina before shipping it on. I've sent along a felt pad loaded with the stuff, and an extra can of it to refresh the pad as needed. It should be RED on the blade...like paint. If it's pinkish or clear, please refresh the pad by getting it wet and spooning a very light dusting of the powder across it. The longer you scrub with the iron oxide/felt pad, the more of the patina will be removed, and the more beautiful and ethereal the hamon will appear.
    - 3M 3000 grit soft backed paper. This is for after you've rinsed and dried the blade from the scrubbing you gave it with the iron oxide. This brings out even more of the activity in the hamon, along with almost burnishing the soft steel of the spine. If you look in the second video below, you can see the flower pattern on my daughter's newly done fingernails from about 3'...in soft spine of the blade. This is a very much desired effect...and is the reason for the semi-elaborate cleaning process.
    - Wool pad saturated with choji oil. Obviously for wiping on the blade. Drip some more from the jar on it if it doesn't apply oil with a light touch.
    - Microfiber cloth. Duh...this is for wiping off the oil!
    - Five 1" or so screws. These are for when one of you loses one (or more) of the screws in the lid :p.
    - Towel for wrapping the contents. Again...better safe than sorry with the USPS.

I've found the best way to package the box for shipment...is NOT how WildBoar is going to receive it (the guy at the post office packed it). The best way is to slice a large cardboard priority mail box down one side, and wrap the box as if the cardboard were wrapping paper. Basically, roll it up like a tootsie roll, then cut the sides and fold them down, then tape them up with free USPS tape! Makes it a lot easier to ship that way.

Remember guys...FEEDBACK!! That is my main reason for this!! I don't mind harsh critique (I'm a big boy with strong shoulders and can handle it lol)...but if you feel you have none to give....please try to think of at least ONE thing you'd change if you were given absolute freedom to do so.

One last thing before I post the videos. I would LOVE for all of you to sign the box. Please be conscious that there's however many people coming after you that have to sign it as well...along with the fact that it's probably leaving the US for Canada, Europe, and Australia eventually...and I'd like those guys to sign it too. I'd like the box to be sort of a cool item to put in my shop, that ALL of my friends around the world that have used my knife have left their mark on :). Any color Sharpie will do!!

Anyhow, here's the videos:

I actually did NOT get to run it back over the stones...but it's still sharp enough to use. You guys can feel free to touch it up however you like within reason. I want you to use the knife as though you'd just bought it...and I understand that putting your own edge on it is part of that process.

If you guys have any questions just ask...either here or via PM...and most of all...have FUN with it! :D

3. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Well, damn! Looks like you've antipated just about everything! Really looking forward to this.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

the knife is coming to Canada ? :james

6. Europe? Whooha! :BF

I'd love to sign that box!

7. Yes James, I'm hoping to do a separate Canadian passaround once it gets back. Then one for Europe (I'd love you to sign the box too Mark, lol!), and after that Australia. I figure if I'm going to do a passaround knife...I might as well send it everywhere lol. Plus since I'm keeping this one for me due to the flaws...it'll have even more value to me beyond the actual knife.

Honestly, I'm no professional chef, so you guys will probably get miles more out of the thing than I have...but I love the way it cuts. It's not as thin as my typical knives, but that gives it a weight that's nice. Kind of a balance between the two different kinds of 'effortless' when it comes to cutting. You know...effortless because it's so sharp and thin, and effortless because its own weight carries it through the cut. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you guys think of the compromise between the two.

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Now you've created a paradox...how will we use the knife on the screws if it has to be in the shipping box when the screws are inserted/removed?

9. Oh!...look!! Lucretia's a comedienné!!

:D

10. LOL! You don't know who I am... yet :k

11. That sounds slightly ominous...but I'd still love your thoughts on my knife...so there we are :p.

Honestly I'm very much looking forward to bieniek getting ahold of it as well lol. I'm 150% sure I'll get the straight, no nonsense scoop on how well the knife works on THAT day!!

12. Just saw this posted up on YT, and man that thing is sexaay! I love how you're scrubbing away just how a "non-knifemaker" would do it, I kinda cringed for a second, but it still looked incredible after that clean up :D And that's a sweet lil care package you're sending with it, do ya send smaller amounts of the same stuff when you sell your knives?

I'm gonna have get some iron oxide to play with sometime, what grit would you say it was, I can't convert microns lol. As of right now, I have 1500 grit silicon carbide powder (mix with some oil), flitz, with the powder applied with some dense foam pads I bought, and the flitx with make up remover pads, and vinegar as my hamon polishing/etching regimem. But I still haven't done all that many yet, so I'm sure it'll be subject to change.. especially with all the W2 I have to play with now :cool:

I don't really cook, but I'm really interested in how well your knife is recieved. I always enjoy pass around threads, well at least the ones with kick butt knives :cool1 Can be a learning experience for those on the sidelines as well ;)

~Paul

13. WildBoar should be getting the blade today!!

If you could guys...feel free to post up your initial impressions (at least) here, for all to share. You can post your reviews here as well...or privately in PM, whichever you're more comfortable with. Good or bad here is just fine with me. Pictures from each of you would be awesome as well!!

Heya Paul...thanks!! And yes, 'scrubbing away' pretty much covers it lol. 3000 grit is pretty forgiving, and I know I'm not going to get these guys to set up a sanding jig to refinish the blade after they've used it a couple weeks, lol. This method will keep it clean enough where each person can at least get an idea what it looked like new :p.

On the care package, I've been considering it for sure. Just something I haven't had a ton of time to mess with is all.

I have no idea what 3 micron is on a grit chart...but google says roughly 7000-8000 grit? Lots of conflicting information. The felt pad has its own effect on the finish as well. If I use my fingers (the red iron oxide hides bloodstains well with this method :p) the finish is completely different.

14. WildBoar

5:25 pm and no delivery yet... Hopefully it gets here (my office) before I have to leave at 5:45. Plasma cutter and sawzall all in the kitchen at home waiting to help me unbox the knife :cool:

15. I just checked the tracking...and of course it's not updated. All of the other knives I shipped at the same time have been delivered though.

Maybe your mailman just sucks? :fp2

16. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

looks like i wont see this baby for six months! bummer but i cant wait!

17. You're closest to me Brad, lol...that's why. If you lived near DC you'd see it in just a few weeks :p.

18. WildBoar

...and ChefCosta took the first cuts with it tonight :cool: