1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures of your new acquisitions

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Antonio, Feb 20, 2014.

1. schanop

schanop Founding Member

This is one of earlier single bevel version with ura. Shig is ni-mai cladded single bevel, but straight back without ura, just a back bevel at the edge.

2. Very nice! Actually, the Fujiwara Nashiji Gyuto 240 mm is on my wish list. Would be nice with some more white #1 in my knife collection... :)

3. 250mm chef's by Thiers-Issard for The Invisible Edge, UK

[​IMG]

4. That's what I got during last JNS gathering: 180mm Kato and my first handmade saya
    [​IMG]

With some light patina already
    [​IMG]

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Some kinda sexy, right there, Anton! What, no custom handle yet? :)

6. there will be one… someday :)

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Anton, I believe we've got sibling knives. Too bad mine has no saya :(
    [​IMG]

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Anton , your Saya came out great. Good luck with the chisels. Looking forward to what you do.

9. Those 180 mm Katos look nice. I have started to like that format since I managed to sharpen up my Akifusa Asai AS Gyuto 180 mm. Feels much better than a santoku, I think. Was also thinking of getting that Kato, but I had trouble deciding between it and the 220 mm suji. But now the suji was the only one left in stock so I got it.

So, two new knives from JNS: Yoshiaki Fujiwara Sujihiki 220 mm and Itinomonn Kasumi Gyuto 270 mm...

01_YF_Suji_220_ITI_Gyuto_270_lores.jpg

... and here they are compared with some other knives I have at home.

02_Compare_YF_Gyuto_240_ITI_Gyuto_270_lores.jpg

03_Compare_SHI_Suji_220_YF_Suji_220_lores.jpg
    Beg your pardon for the crappy lo-res mobile photos.

My first 270 mm gyuto! Still 40 grams lighter than my 240 Kato. :D

10. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

schanop, your Shigefusa Honesuki looks like my new one. Just looked, mine did not run off. Did you already vote for a favourite between the two?

11. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Haven't used Shig just yet, Taj. Mainly I am on pork, but this week should be poultry's turn. Am thinking duck again.

12. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

Good choice, duck's one of my favourites.

Use your new toy for the following. Young duck, split it right next to the spine, put it flat, skin up. Use your Honesuki to slice pockets into the flesh of the legs and breast and everywhere there is meat, lets say about 20 times. Then put slices of garlic in the pockets as well as one leaf of salvia, so that a bit of the leaf still sticks out. Then squeeze some rosemary under the skin at each pocket. Herbs need to be fresh. Baste with some olive oil, salt and pepper it both sides. That's the basics, whatever else you put around the duck in the oven iron is up for imagination, sometimes i use onions, mushrooms and potatos. fill with some white wine and put in the oven, about 200°C. For a young duck, 1h 15min to 1 and 1/2h and you're done.

Of course, you need to use your Honesuki. Everyone without one, don't even try. Get a new toy, then you're ready to go ;)

P.S. to cut the bird next to the spine, use something else, not the knife.

13. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Yuummmm, it sounds.

14. Don't forget to invite me ;)

15. That thing is sweet!

16. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Mostly just a teaser pic...Shibata Kotetsu bunkabocho:
    [​IMG]

17. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

you and those little knives! it looks great