1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures of your new acquisitions

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Antonio, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Wooh... I love the profile of that Harner! Is that a hollow grind just near the heel or over the entire blade?

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Beauties....... all of them. :cool:

3. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

And here it is after some patina worked in, chilling with BIG Brother:

[​IMG]

4. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Darn near the entire blade, tapers out towards tip. It ain't scared to make quick work of carrots and other dense produce.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. pleue

pleue Founding Member

First custom! Tilman 180 nakiri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cool looking knife! What material was used for spacer on the handle?

10. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've got to admit to a teency bit of envy regarding that TL nakiri.

11. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I don't think I have ever seen a Tilman I haven't been envious of. That is raw beauty.

12. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Imma have me some fun with this one

IMG_20150614_143858.jpg

13. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

James, Welcome to the club. Looks terrific. I don't doubt you're going to enjoy it. I don't think I've ever red anything but flattering reviews of Cris's knives.

14. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Reserved and negative commentary is generally kept private.

15. pleue

pleue Founding Member

Thanks all, I think it was tilmans first nakiri and he absolutely nailed it in my opinion. The handle is blond buffalo horn, artificial tortoise shell spacer, linden burl.

16. [​IMG]
    here's something new to me: CTm. About a month ago or so I found a guy from Moscow on IG who is trying to organize kitchen knives production locally. Back then he wanted to start new line of knives with WA handles and asked me for help. I wasn't ready to make handles for them, so instead I pointed him to WIP threads by Mikey and Cris Anderson which describe handle making in details. And so here's a knife from the first batches.

I'm gonna ask the maker about exact species of wood and steel used for this knife as I only know that it's made of some carbon steel and is ~60HRC.
    1.1mm in the thickest part, although it's fair to say that almost whole blade is as thick. No distal taper. It's just flat, and only around 4-5mm behind the edge are actually ground and convex. I haven't used it much yet, as for today's meals I needed to cut only tomatoes and mushrooms. Well, on those ingredients it worked surprisingly well, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't work well on something harder… anyway, if there's any interest I could write some review later, once I use this knife for a little bit longer.

17. I've seen that knife before! The maker has posted on my Instagram a few times here and there. For better or worse it looks like my choil shape is catching on, lol.

The slight upsweep of the handle is interesting as well. I wonder if it was purposeful aspect of the design or just how it came together as it was made?

18. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Cris, you are a fine role model!

19. Wow, that is cool! Literally. :)
    (The other thing that has come into my mind when i looked at the picture is The Deathstars.)

20. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

image.jpg image.jpg Just put an edge on these 2 Markos. (Responded so well to Jon's new diamond stones) I remember seeing the cool vintage parer Son had that Marko used for inspiration. Thank you Sachem. Attention to detail is really nice. Saya is gorgeous. Picture don't do either justice.