1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures of your new acquisitions

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Antonio, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I love the Damascus pattern on this knife - crazy nice!

2. I know it's not quite as exotic as many of the knives on here but it's my first laser and I received it yesterday - it's still got the lacquer on it :)

Ashi Hamono Ginga - 240mm gyuto in white #2 with a lefty grind and an ebony handle. The OOTB edge definitely needs a little work but it still goes through onions like they're butter.

upload_2014-4-2_10-34-56.jpeg

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Congrats on the acquisition. I'm becoming more and more a fan of lasers. I haven't tried a Ginga, but Yusuke and Takamura do very well indeed. The Takamura is a knife that doesn't get enough love on this side of the knife community. Very thin, good (if a bit small) handle, excellent (imo) profile, great steel. I haven't fully made up my mind, but if I were inebriated, I'd admit I like it more than my Yusuke knives (thin model and standard)

4. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

pass around please!

5. My newly acquired Ealy parer and mini nakiri. Thanks Del, they are gorgeous!

Also my 210 Itinomonn from Maxim. Received this one a few weeks ago. Really enjoying it so far.

Attached Files:

6. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Love me some Del!

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

The Ealy's are stunning. Have never seen a Nakiri anything like it.

8. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Those mini nakiris makes me want to buy one for my daughter. Is 20 months too young to start using knives?;) In a few years I know where to get her first one. Nice catch, Erilyn!

9. It was fate. I bought the parer before the nakiris were listed and someone claimed it. They changed their mind and then it was mine ;)

I actually had my son in mind when I got it. He will be 3 next month but I figured I'd better get it before I can't :)

10. Stereo.Pete

Stereo.Pete Founding Member

Here's a new knife made by an American blade smith named Salem Straub. I first learned of his work through another forum and admired not only his craftsmanship but also his philosophy on knife making. He only makes the type of blades that personally interest him, knives that inspire him to take his craft to the next level, which means he typically doesn't taken commissions. I happened to catch him at the right time since he was having fun forging chef knives. I had seen a design of his that caught my eye, and I had seen some of his other work specifically with W2 and hamons. I contacted Mr. Straub and found out he was still very much interested in making gyutos so I told him to make one for me. I let him choose all of the options, steel, handle materials and finish, I had only requested a french profile.

Here's the result
    W2 with hamon
    Black Ash burl handle with Micarta bolster
    Speaking from an aesthetic point of view, the knife's craftsmanship is 100% spot on. I have not had a chance to use the knife yet so function is still up in the air, and the handle requires a very minor adjustment to my style of pinch grip, which might not effect others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

image.jpg image.jpg I had a line cook that sported a Salem Straub. Big beefy workhorse. His had a more German influence to the profile. Sorry to go off topic with pics but haven't seen another one before.

12. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

uploadfromtaptalk1397531213288.jpg Konosuke HH Sujihuki 300mm

13. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Kind of digging this Straubs. That hamon on the W2 is quite stunning

14. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Something to be ambivalent about, woohoo!

[​IMG]

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

don't know how it cuts, but it looks great.

16. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Wow. Any chance you can PM me some price details, just for curiosity's sake. I'm kind of in love...

17. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I am not sure about it yet myself. My first impression was that I liked the thinnish spine...feels pretty light in the hand. The handle collar is plastic but it doesn't bother me. My initial feeling was that the edge is a bit more convex and thicker than I was hoping...but I've been a bit spoiled by the paper-thin edges I've got on my Zakuri knives, so it may be unfair. Need a bit more experience with it before I decide to keep it, keep/thin it, or get rid of it.

18. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

The OKCA show was a very busy one for me and I came out of there with some great purchases. I bought 2 from Blair Todd and got 2 from Murray Carter. The BTodds are are a 6" Gyuto and his Nakiri that won best new maker. I also bought a Carter neck knife and received a 5.1 sun Kuro-uchi Funyuki. It was great learning many things from both makers. I've got a trip scheduled to go up and visit Murray and pound some metal. Here are pictures of the purchases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

20. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

image.jpg New Ealy Little Guy