1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fountain Pen Thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Andrew, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Also, there's no heat treat that I'm aware of, but you should be working so slowly that you don't heat up a nib. You'll want a good 10x loupe as well to inspect your work as you go.

2. Only have 2 Fountain pens.

my first is a simple black Lamy Safari
    [​IMG]

And a Custom Rod Neep Beechenhurst Deluxe in Black Palm and Black Titanium & iridium tip
    [​IMG]

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

2 isnt enough... you need a pelikan

4. aha. what model do i need :D

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

m200 is a good starting point. They have gold plated steel nibs and are piston fillers. If you want a gold nib and more trim the m400 is the next model up. If you like vintage the 140, 100 and 400 are really nice... so is the price tag. If you like big pens the m600, m800 and m1000 are for you!

I have 2 m200 from the 80's and 2 140's from the 50's and 60's. I like the 140 with an OM nib the best.

Be careful with Pelikans. They reproduce faster than anything I know! (They have great ink colors too.)
    [​IMG]

6. James

M200 is a good start M600 would be a major step up though

7. thanks for the tips! the only ink i have and have tried is Sailor

8. John Fout

I've heard good things of Sailor ink. The higher end Pilot inks are lovely. I can't spell it without looking at it. Won't try :)

Pelikan 4001 Turquoise is my ink of choice. Edelstein Amber is right behind it and I fell in love with Edelstein Adventurine doing Christmas cards. Private Reserve Tanzanite has a place but it falls out of rotation just because of the pen it is in. Golly... I have six pens inked. I need to write more!

9. James

i have sailor inks, i like them a lot

10. so have you gruys tried the Lemy safari.. i can really recommend it. well worth the price.

11. James

btw M200's in modern production wull just be steel not gold plated in most cases, anything up from there goes full gold nib, the M400 being the same sized pen as a M200

12. James

i have.. was the first FP i really used, i could never get comfortable with the grip on them. other then that they are nice pens. My fav EDC pen is my Pilot Custom Herotage 92 though.

13. John Fout

I've held one in my hand a few times. Didn't really care for the triangular section. I got a Safari for my dad for Christmas to see if he liked it. I don't think he has used it.

14. John Fout

Did you get your other Pilot nib fixed?

15. James

not yet no

16. John Fout

Get on it! The good guys have wait lists!

17. having my eyes on both a m800 and a m1000 who knows i might pull the trigger :D

18. James

i like the 800's size. I have medium sized hands and although ive never held on i think the 1000 would be to big for me. shes a biggun that one

19. John Fout

I haven't used anything bigger than my M200. Thout they would be too small but I like the size

20. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Oohh, very nice!

Must resist buying one of each.

[​IMG]