1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 17, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I will go ATG on everything but my upper lip. I quit trying long ago. I will XTG twice... SR's are decent and I get the cheeks and chin good but the neck is like going with the grain once with DE. I do keep trying to get a beter shave with one. :)

2. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Yeah, even with the DE, still have trouble on my neck and having to do a few touch up passes, but it's a bit easier for me with the DE than the SR. DE gave 3 good shaves with the Astra blade in it, not sure if I will try to 4 tomorrow or try one of the other blades I got? I can do south to north on my upper lip with the DE :)

3. John Fout

My fourth pass is just touch ups if I'm really worried about it. Unless I'm trying for extra super smooth for going out I don't worry about it too much. I risk irritation if I try too hard but as always your mileage will vary.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Nice day at the antique stores! Family is in town so we drove out about an hour away to an historic small town with nice little shops and cool things. Hit the jackpot at one antique store.

[​IMG]Untitled

5. John Fout

I hope you have some SE blades... wait, you run the blade exchange. Carry-on :)

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Great score! I need to find an antique store or two in my area in hopes of grabbing even one vintage.

8. Toothpick

9. +1

10. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Is there anything special about shaving soap? Tonight I did half my face with Arko, the other half with a bar of Old Spice soap my daughter gave me. Face lathering on both. Not sure I can even tell the difference. Might be a slight edge to the bar soap for less irritation. The bar soap side also looked visibly smoother, but felt the same.

11. John Fout

That question will get a very big your mileage will vary response. Different skin. different hair will react differently to different ingredients or processes in soaps. Ever shave with hand soap or dish soap? I don't want to but it would be better than shaving dry.

12. Toothpick

This is why I clean razors before I use them. Look at all that gunk! That's just from pouring boiling water over them.

image.jpg

13. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

14. Toothpick

They never looked better. I gave the spa treatment to bout 14 razors today.

15. John Fout

I need to clean my Fatboy...

16. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

You sure like your single edges, Jason.

17. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Well, got 4 great shaves from the Astra blade. Went to the Siler Blue Gillettes. OUCH! Lots of irritation, razor burn and weepers on the neck. May be too much pressure? I will try again tomorrow and see how it goes focusing on using less pressure, but I don't remember using too much pressure the last 3 shaves with the GSB?

18. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I think I know that guy :)

But I digress. Was your GSB a new blade or had you used it a few times? I find the GSB's to be slightly more forgiving than the Astras. Maybe you just got a bum blade?

19. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

It was brand new, 2nd blade in the 5 pack. First blade I dropped in the sink and curled the edge, so I tossed that one and opened a brand new blade. Did 3 shaves with it, they were all fairly irritating compared to the Astra blades? I will put the other 3 aside and try them in a few months.

20. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Try a variety of blades. You may find your tastes changing frequently.