1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Hey what do you guys think of the weishi razor? Should I try them out or better go for the merkur? [​IMG]
    Any others you would recommend for newbi ?

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Never used it myself but I don't see it as a bad option for a newbie. It's my understanding that it's a rather light razor. Maybe plastic - someone else would have to confirm that.

Good razors for newbs IMO are the Merkur 34c or the Edwin Jager DE89
    The 34C was my first but if I had to do it again I'd go vintage first.
    Gillette Super Speed or Gillette Tech. The Tech can be had cheaply on the bay and is an excellent razor.

3. Thanks toothpick I will keep hunting around for vintage

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've got a DE89 and like it quite a bit. I don't trust the threaded part of the head, and would kind of like to replace it with a full stainless steel model, but it's held up so far.

5. Can anyone tell me what this is?[​IMG]

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Rami, I dont know exactly, but my best guess is its a Chinese clone of a Gillette DE.

7. What's the difference between those DE razors? I mean to my eye they all look the same: just a plain metal holder for a blade. I do understand that some may have a better fit and finish and a little bit difference construction, but apart from that — are there any reasons for not using that Chinese clone?

8. good question, my thought is that the seller is asking too much for a knock off.

9. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Variations in handle won't matter too much. Weight of the piece matters some but the kicker is how much blade is exposed and at what angle.

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

subtle differences in clearances, construction materials and techniques all conspire to give the razor its character. My first new razor was the Merkur Progress. It is still one of my favorite razors for about 8 years I guess. I think the 34c, Edwin Jager DE89 could turn out to be your favorite razor a decade from now. Not so much with the Weishi.

11. Toothpick

Construction is a big difference. The knockoffs tend to be very light, some are made from plastic. IMO they feel cheap, like they wont last a lifetime.
    The modern Murkers or Edwin Jaggers are heavy, made from durable metal/steel. They will last forever. It's a tool.
    Same for the vintage razors. The proof of their durability is the fact that they are still around and people are using them.

12. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I do love my sixty year old fatboy and superspeed... the 100+ year old GEM is great too.

13. Toothpick

China copy of a Gillette razor. Can be found on the bay for about 2 bucks shipped. I actually ordered a similar razor, different handle.
    I figure for 2 bucks if it's a good shaver then WIN. If not, well..I've wasted 2 bucks on worse things.

14. Guy was asking 25 bucks!!!
    Good thing I asked.

15. Toothpick

16. Jim

The questions you have may also be on many of the other mens minds don't hesitate to ask anything. That's what we are here for.

17. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Thanks guys. Just ordered a Merkur #42 classic 1904 for no damned good reason. Should never have followed this far along in this thread.

18. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Going to take my first go with Cella tonight to see how it compares to the La Toja, my wife already likes it better from just smelling it.

19. Jim

20. MattS

MattS Founding Member

It was good, not as slick as I was thinking, but still pretty smooth. I still think I prefer the overall experiance with the La Toja and Tabac.