1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats on the bench. Current projects. and other stuff

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Every little detail about your knives is just mesmerizing, down to the handle pins!

2. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Cut some mammoth tooth Wa handle blocks. today.

Also went back to work on the Yani.. and completed the grinds and did a initial etch. This is blade number 3. Blade 1 cracked, Blade 2 looked more like a boomerang then a slicer. and finally the 3rd time is a charm!!! I hung in there and learned a few things along the way because of it. :) prepairing me for future knives!!

_MG_5064 (800x533).jpg _MG_5070 (800x533).jpg _MG_5071 (800x533).jpg _MG_5072 (800x533).jpg _MG_5078 (800x534).jpg _MG_5034 (800x533).jpg _MG_5035 (652x800).jpg _MG_5039 (800x533).jpg _MG_5041 (775x800).jpg etch!!

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

My curiosity has got me questioning just how large a mammoth tooth is.
    Do you have any pics that show the scale?

I'm also thinking these would make awesome shaving brush handles.

4. That blue block in the middle...nothing less than gorgeous!

5. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

this puts HHH into the rankings. I am SO excited about this yanagi project. Randy, you DUH MAN!!!!!!

6. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I just have a question about the tang and why it has holes in it? I would like to learn your ideas on the holes. Thanks Randy!

7. HHH Knives

Mammoth teeth can and do vary in size. For example I have one that might weigh 3/4 lb. roots and all. and I have one that might go 16 to 20 lbs. What I find as a average is 6 to 10 lbs
    You would think larger is better, but that's not always the case. some of he nicest pieces I have cut came from smaller teeth.

Here is a image of a tooth I got that was found in Texas. And weighed in around 11 lbs.

Attached Files:

8. HHH Knives

The tang will be glue set into the handle. The hole/s allow for a better, longer lasting set..

9. HHH Knives

Thanks guys for checkin out the thread. Its always fun to here what ya think of the stuff I am working on!!

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

11. HHH Knives

My pleasure. I LOVE the stuff!!

For me the journey is often much more rewarding and fun then the destination!!

This and most of the other rare and exotic materials you see me working with. Were processed from the raw materials by me in my shop. I really enjoy the challenge of working with these materials. and being able to share them with you all as both finished works of functional art. and as raw materials for you all to use as you design and imagine the perfect knife handle or blade!

Yea. I know. Im a KNUT!

Thanks for checkin out my work
    Blessings
    Randy

12. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

The yani is off the hook, brother Randy, as are the mammoth tooth wa blocks. :cool:

13. HHH Knives

A little change in the original [plan. After a full day and more of trying to get the malachite to yield to my desires. I give up and switched to mammoth tooth!

_MG_5122 (800x489).jpg _MG_5125 (800x533).jpg _MG_5129 (800x533).jpg _MG_5119 (800x534).jpg

14. Every time I look at a picture you made, I'm flabbergasted! It doesn't matter what you photograph as long as you've made it yourself or are going to use it...

Is that mammoth tooth as well in the bottom left picture?

15. HHH Knives

Mark, I think your referring to the photo of the Musk Ox horn block that will be the main part of the handle on this Yani. :) I cut the block from a full horn yesterday morning. M/O Horn is some of the coolest most amazing looking material.
    Thanks for checkin out my photos and wor.

Blessings
    Randy

16. HHH Knives

Spent the day with a good friend. Thanks for the visit Chef Al. Its always great to hang out with good people.. No photos of the days events, But memmorys will last a lifetime!

Blessings
    Randy

17. cheflarge

What can I say hanging out with your homie and playing with knives......... c'mon man!!! :D Mutual, my friend, thank you for the great hospitality. FYI: the Yani project is even more amazing in person!!! :cool1

18. HHH Knives

Yanagi. Specs and more images tomorrow.

_MG_5196 (800x533).jpg _MG_5222 (800x533).jpg _MG_5242 (800x533).jpg _MG_5243 (800x533).jpg

19. cheflarge

:jump :like :cool1 Darn sexy, right there, my friend!!! :cool:

20. cheflarge

Spent some time with Randy, the other day. Asked him if he could show me how he makes his wa handles and ended up coming home with this to play with:

[​IMG]

240mm Wa Gyuto in HHH Featherstar Damacus w/ Golden Amboyna Burl Handle, Ivory Spacer, Bog Oak Feral